Taco stuffed avocados are a healthy twist on tacos and you will love the textures of this flavorful version. Ripe avocados stuffed with seasoned beef and loaded with all your favorite taco toppings!
Ditch the tortilla and pile all those yummy taco ingredients into an avocado half for an easy lunch or light dinner. If you love being creative and stuffing your food try these stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage soup, or try these baked stuffed pork chops. They are all so unique and incredibly delicious!
What Are Taco Stuffed Avocados?
Tacos are one of my favorite go-to meals, and these taco stuffed avocados are my new favorite! The creamy avocado base won me over and is the perfect complement to the Mexcian flavors. The taco meat is perfectly seasoned, and the toppings complete the whole recipe.
Tacos are traditionally inside a tortilla or taco shell, but this recipe is different because the taco is stuffed into an avocado. This recipe is one of those recipes you never knew would change your life. Every time I make them my family raves over them. If you’re looking for more Mexican-inspired recipes to wow your family with you have to make these chimichangas, this amazing beef, and our favorite enchiladas.
Ingredients For Taco Stuffed Avocados
I always have taco ingredients on hand so that I can make these fast and easy taco stuffed avocados. I highly recommend that you use my recipe for taco seasoning. Follow the instructions on how to make the best taco meat possible, but you can also switch out the meat if you prefer. The possibilities are endless with this recipe. This is also a great meal option for any dinner guests that might be on a keto diet, gluten-free, dairy-free, or low-carb!
- Ground beef: Cooked and seasoned for perfect tacos.
- Chili powder: Add a little bit of heat.
- Salt: Season to taste.
- Cumin: The best Mexican seasoning on the planet.
- Dried Oregano: Adding oregano is delicious in Mexican recipes.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic seasoning is a must!
- Onion Powder: To season and flavor the beef.
- Tomato Sauce: Helps add moisture to the ground beef.
- Avocados: Ripe avocados are best because they have a perfect creamy texture.
- Cheddar Cheese: Shredded Mexican cheese blend is my favorite for this recipe, but you can use any kind of cheese you like.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Any kind of diced tomatoes are best for taco toppings.
- Lettuce: Shredded lettuce adds great texture.
- Cilantro: Adds color and a little kick of flavor!
- Sour Cream: Use Mexican crema if you prefer.
Let’s Make Taco Stuffed Avocados
Taco stuffed avocados make a perfect lunch or dinner. They will be such a hit that they will be on weekly rotation from now on. It comes together super quick and they are incredibly easy too. You will love how completely customizable this recipe is because everyone can make it just how they like it. Follow my instructions below on the recipe card.
- Brown ground beef: Add the ground beef to a medium-sized skillet then cook over medium heat until browned.
- Cook meat: Add all of the seasonings and the tomato sauce then stir to combine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Prepare avocados: Slice the avocados in half lengthwise then remove the pits. Load the crater left from the pit with the taco meat.
- Add Toppings: Top with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and sour cream.
Tips and Variations
Choosing the right avocados for these taco stuffed avocados is key! When picked right, the avocados add the creamiest texture that is perfect for housing your taco ingredients. I am so excited for you to make this recipe because I know you will love it as much as we do!
- Avocados: Use ripe avocados for this recipe. A ripe avocado can vary in color from dark green to dark brown. The skin will also have a bumpy texture. If the avocados are still firm or hard to the touch, then the avocados will lack flavor.
- Avocado Pit: Simply remove the pit by using a paring knife. Once removed score the area both vertically and horizontally. Carefully remove a portion of the avocado. This will be a small section for the meat to go.
- Taco Seasoning: Here’s a tip for healthier taco meat. Try using low-sodium taco seasoning because this will ensure less salt. And my homemade seasoning is also much healthier than storebought.
- Different Protein: Substitute the ground beef with ground turkey or shredded chicken.
- Make Ahead: Cook the beef ahead of time. Place the meat in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Rewarm the meat in the microwave or stovetop until it is warmed through.
- Make Guacamole: If you want to make a larger area in the avocado then spoon out more of the avocado. Keep it and set it aside because you can use it to make guacamole!
- Additional Toppings: There are lots of options for toppings! You could add corn, pico, juice of a lime, or anything else you would like!
Leftovers from these taco stuffed avocados make for a great lunch the next day! I love having extra so that I can make them again and again. Store the meat and toppings separately then rewarm it to stuff a new avocado the next time you want to enjoy it. Follow my instructions below for storing, reheating, and assembling leftovers.
- In the Refrigerator: Place leftover taco meat in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Store the toppings separately in sealable bags and place them in the refrigerator for 1-3 days.
- To Reheat: Reheat the taco meat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until warmed through.
- To Assemble: Stuff a fresh new avocado that has been cut in half. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy! Use fresh chopped toppings if you prefer.
Taco Stuffed Avocados
#wprm-recipe-rating-9 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * fill: #343434; #wprm-recipe-rating-9 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-33 svg * fill: url(#wprm-recipe-rating-9-33); #wprm-recipe-rating-9 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-50 svg * fill: url(#wprm-recipe-rating-9-50); #wprm-recipe-rating-9 .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-66 svg * fill: url(#wprm-recipe-rating-9-66); linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-9-33 stop stop-color: #343434; linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-9-50 stop stop-color: #343434; linearGradient#wprm-recipe-rating-9-66 stop stop-color: #343434;
Alyssa Also Recommends:
Want to make this even easier? Here are a few products that I LOVE:
Utopia Kitchen Cooking Knives
Calphalon Cookware Set
The Recipe Critic Measuring Cups
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 avocados, halved
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
Add the ground beef to a medium-sized skillet then cook over medium heat until browned.
Add all of the seasonings and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
Slice the avocados in half lengthwise then remove the pits. Load the crater left from the pit with the taco meat.
Top with cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and sour cream. Enjoy!
Original Post on January 26, 2018
By: Alyssa Rivers
Title: Taco Stuffed Avocados
Sourced From: therecipecritic.com/taco-stuffed-avocados/
Published Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:00:00 +0000